Wednesday 03 May 1995
Subject to final international frequency clearances, the service will be available to about 70 per cent of the population. The key areas to miss out will be the south-east (but London will receive it), large swathes of the south coast, most of Wales and the less populated areas of Scotland and Northern Ireland.
Given the technological requirements (retuning video recorders, etc) Channel 5 will not broadcast to all potential areas at the outset, although a minimum of two areas covering at least 1 million viewers must be able to tune in from the start. Full coverage has to be achieved within five years.
The overall programming shape of the channel is for the operator to decide. While applicants are not necessarily expected to provide any local or regional elements, the ITC says their inclusion would have a bearing on its assessment.
Channel 5 is not going to be dominated by films or cheap imports. The commission is insisting that 40 per cent of the hours transmitted, excluding anything broadcast between 1am and 6am, must be original. That figure rises to 65 per cent after the sixth year.
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Bill Cosby: Isn’t it obvious why his accusers have stayed silent up until now?
- 4 Halle Berry takes ex-boyfriend Gabriel Aubry to court for allegedly trying to make daughter look less African-American
- 5 Isis propaganda image showing 'abuse of Muslim woman by soldiers' is actually taken from Hungarian porn film
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: CHESHIRE MARKET TOWN - An exciting and rare o...
Excellent Salary : Austen Lloyd: NORTH HAMPSHIRE - SENIOR POSITION - An exciti...
£29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Gas Installation Engineer is required ...
£28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Domestic Gas Technical Surveyor is req...