Confessions of a walnut
Book Review: Sid James by Cliff Goodwin (Century), pounds 15.99
From the moment when James first discovered his raging libido, a portrait emerges of a boozing, brawling, gambling adulterer, unable to keep his fly buttoned in the presence of a busty blonde or his wallet from spilling its contents into the tills of the nearest turf accountant. In his wake he left a string of broken marriages (his first father-in-law took a contract out on him), children (some legitimate) who hardly recognised him, and a clutch of debt collectors on the trail of his kneecaps.
The destructive obsession with Barbara Windsor ("He never got over Babs. When he lost Babs he lost the will to live.") is well charted, but, more surprising than any "revelation" comes the claim that James's battered old walnut face actually belonged to that of a sex symbol. His world view was best encapsulated by one of his gruff lines from Hancock's Half Hour: "If you ain't got it, get it. When you've got it, spend it. Eat, drink, be merry - for tomorrow we snuff it."
'Sid James' by Cliff Goodwin (Century) pounds 15.99
- 1 Freedom fighters? Cannibals? The truth about Syria’s rebels
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Special Report: US troops are stationed in Japan to protect the nation. But to sex workers in Okinawa, they bring fear, not security
- 4 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
- 5 Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria
Negotiable Depending on Experience: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green R...
£25000 - £30000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
Negotiable: Progressive Recruitment: Dear Sumadhab, A growing engineering comp...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Ilford: We are currently recruiting for a Year ...