Councils accused of scare stories over reform plans
Friday 09 September 1994
The Association of District Councils renews its call to the Local Government Commission to weigh up what it says are transparent attempts to influence the opinions expressed about possible changes.
Yesterday the commission outlined the possibilities for Cornwall, making clear its preference for no change to the two- tier system of a county council and six district councils.
However, the commission will also consult on several other options - establishing a unitary authority for the county, or retaining the county while merging the six districts into three - before making its recommendation.
Merger would cost between pounds 9m and pounds 11m to set up, with savings of pounds 1m to pounds 3m annually, while a unitary authority would cost pounds 20m to pounds 22m to set up but save pounds 7m to pounds 9m a year.
X Factor judge will appear in court later this month
The Google future, including microphones in every ceiling and data sent directly to your brain
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 4 Newly vegan Beyoncé wears fox fur to dine in meat free restaurant
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
- < Previous
- Next >
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: C# .NET Server Side De...
£60000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Senior QA Engineer Tes...
£40000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits : Harrington Starr: C# .NET Developer (P...
£44000 - £55000 per annum + Excellent Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Confide...