Cracks in the fabric of society:
Thursday 23 June 1994
KEY recommendations in the report include:
The creation of a new offence of racially motivated violence.
Chief constables should make it clear to their officers that racist behaviour will not be tolerated.
Racial incident units should be attached to police stations nationally. Interpreter services should also be provided.
The Police Complaints Authority should improve its image, and become higher-profile.
The Public Order Act was inadequate to deal with racial harassment. The prosecution should be required only to prove that a reasonable person would expect harassment to result from a suspect's actions, rather than prove that the suspect had intended to harass. The penalty should be increased from pounds 1,000 to 12 months in prison.
The Crown Prosecution Service should record the proportion of race-attack cases discontinued, those downgraded and the charges that led to convictions.
The Director of Public Prosecutions should remind the CPS to tell the court of any evidence of racial motivation in a case.
Permission to prosecute cases involving incitement of racial hatred should be obtained from the Director of Public Prosecutions rather than seek the Attorney-General's consent.
Stand by for another DECADE of wet summers, say Met Office meteorologists
'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 2 'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£110 - £135 per day: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Teaching opportunites in t...
£21000 - £32000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Primary Teaching opp...
£21000 - £32000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Primary School teach...