2 for price of 1 as supermarket ATM goes awry
Its slogan is "every little helps" and shoppers seemed to agree when they queued outside Tesco to withdraw "free" money being dispensed by the store's cash machine.
The ATM at the supermarket branch in Cranford, Hounslow, in west London, began dispensing £20 notes instead of £10 notes due to what Tesco said was an operational error.
An estimated 150 people withdrew up to £5,000 cash before the machine finally jammed, a spokesman said.
Tesco said it would not be asking for the money back from those who profited from the windfall over the two-hour period in which the extra money was dispensed.
The error, last Thursday, occurred when a bundle of £20 notes was mistakenly put into the slot where there should have been a bundle of £10 notes, Tesco said.
The spokesman said: "This was thankfully an extremely rare operational error."
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Louise Mensch says 'F**K YOU' in explosive tweets about David Cameron, Saudi Embassy and the Queen over King Abdullah tributes
- 1 Double chins could be 'cured' without surgery or dieting using new injection
- 2 The BBC has just done more to eradicate ‘terrorism’ than all our wars since 9/11
- 3 Christian blogger says she will not wear leggings in public because they entice men and cause them to look at her 'lustfully'
- 4 Thank heavens for Louise Mensch and her foul-mouthed tweets to world leaders
- 5 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'