21/7: timetable of terror alert
* 12.25pm police evacuate Shepherd's Bush Tube station on the Hammersmith and City line following an attempt to set off an explosion.
* 12.30pm Emergency services are first called to Oval Tube station. Around 20 or 30 passengers are evacuated from a Tube train saying that they had seen "white smoke". There are also reports of a man dumping a rucksack in a carriage then fleeing as the doors closed.
* 12.45pm London Ambulance Service sends five vehicles to Warren Street Tube station after reports of a rucksack exploding on a train in a tunnel just outside the station.
* 1.15pm Pubs and offices near Warren Street Tube station are evacuated.
* 1.22pm London Underground says it has suspended services on the Hammersmith & City, Victoria and Northern lines.
* 1.30pm The driver of the number 26 bus reports hearing a bang followed by a smell of smoke coming from the upper deck while driving along Hackney Road, Shoreditch. Upstairs he finds the windows blown out.
* 1.45pm Transport for London confirms it has imposed a Code Amber at all three affected Tube lines which means trains are taken to the next station and passengers evacuated to above ground.
* 1.45pm Police with sniffer dogs comb the pavement along Euston Road, near Warren Street and the surrounding area.
* 2.05pm Transport for London confirms that four lines - the Hammersmith and City, Northern, Bakerloo and Victoria - remain suspended.
* 2.24pm Metropolitan Police confirm armed officers have been deployed to University College Hospital where they are dealing with an incident.
* 2.40pm An initial examination at Oval shows that there is no trace of chemical agents.
* 2.45pm Downing Street confirms the Government's civil contingencies committee - known as Cobra - would be meeting in response to the latest incidents.
* 3.10pm London Underground says the Piccadilly and Bakerloo lines have also been suspended, although no incidents have been reported on those lines.
* 3.20pm British Transport Police confirm no trace of chemical agents have been found at Warren Street station following the incident there.
* 3.25pm London Fire Brigade says officers are deployed at Warren Street London Underground station in full protective equipment as a precaution in order to examine the scene.
* 4pm Armed police and dog handlers arrive at Shepherd's Bush to begin searches of streets that had earlier been sealed off.
As anti-Semitic attacks rise, Grant Feller re-evaluates his identity
Kirstie Allsopp has waded into the female fertility debate again
...and it wasn't caused by an asteroid crash, as first thought
Savoury patisserie is a thing now
Gillian Anderson lays into gender disparity in Hollywood
Stella McCartney apologises over controversial 'very ill' model picture on Instagram
Snoop Dogg and Jared Leto buy a stake in Reddit as A-list invests $50m
Prince held a Facebook Q&A and this is the only question he answered...
Brad Pitt, on the moment he completely lost his temper with Clint Eastwood's son
Cheryl Cole named 'the most dangerous celebrity' on the internet
Former Tory donor Arron Banks ups his Ukip donation to £1million following William Hague 'nobody' comment
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
- 1 Snoop Dogg and Jared Leto buy a stake in Reddit as A-list invests $50m
- 2 Prince held a Facebook Q&A and this is the only question he answered...
- 3 35,000 walrus gather on north-west Alaska beach 'for a rest'
- 4 Brad Pitt, on the moment he completely lost his temper with Clint Eastwood's son
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- < Previous
- Next >