62-year-old man arrested over historic 'abuse' at North Wales care home
Wednesday 20 November 2013
Detectives investigating claims of child abuse at North Wales care homes have arrested a 62-year-old man on suspicion of crimes against three boys and a girl.
The man, who is from Mold in North Wales and is the 15th person to be arrested as part of the inquiry, was held over accusations of buggery, indecent assault and child cruelty.
It is alleged that the offences took place between 1973 and 1976, when the victims were aged between 10 and 15.
The latest arrest was made as part of Operation Pallial, an investigation being led by the National Crime Agency into recent allegations of historical abuse linked to the homes.
Earlier this month the NCA revealed that they have been given the names or partial names of around 100 potential abusers.
Investigators said that in the year since their inquiry started, they have been contacted by 235 alleged victims, with more than 100 of those having come forward since a public report on the probe was published in April.
Of the possible 100 abusers identified, 24 are thought to have died, but the team said they will still investigate claims.
So far one person has been charged with serious sexual offences as part of Pallial.
The investigation was set up to re-examine claims of sex crimes and to look again at the original police investigations into abuse at care homes in North Wales.
In 2000, the Waterhouse Inquiry was established to study claims linked to homes in the former council areas of Gwynedd and Clwyd since 1974, and following the investigation eight people were prosecuted, seven of whom were convicted.
However in July, a damning report which revealed "extensive" child abuse in North Wales care homes was finally published - 17 years after it claimed police officers and other professionals could have been identified as potential "perpetrators of assaults".
The Jillings Report, which focused on allegations of abuse in the council care system during the 1970s and 1980s, was compiled in 1996 but its publication was blocked by the former Clwyd County Council because insurers feared compensation claims.
A heavily-redacted version of the report was published online in the wake of the fresh investigations.
The report is highly critical of North Wales Police's role in investigating allegations involving its own officers and also claims other agencies, including the local authority, constrained its investigation by providing "limited information" and, in some cases, refusing to meet the panel.
James Foley 'beheaded': PM cuts holiday short for emergency meeting on British response to latest Isis atrocity
Michael Brown shooting: Police shoot and kill second young black man near Ferguson
ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns aged 27
James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
Iraq crisis: Islamic State's message to America - 'We will drown you all in blood'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
- 1 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns aged 27
- 3 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'
- 4 Nicki Minaj finally releases predictable 'Anaconda' video
- 5 James Foley 'beheading': Met police warn public watching murder video could be criminal offence