After 40 years, IRA admits child's murder
Belfast-born David McKittrick has been reporting on Northern Ireland since 1971, He has written for the East Antrim Times, the Irish Times and was The Independent's Irish correspondent for many years. He is the author of several books including Making Sense of the Troubles (2000) and Lost Lives (1999).
Saturday 25 February 2012
Almost 40 years after a boy of nine was killed by an explosion in Londonderry, the IRA has finally admitted responsibility for his death.
The admission came after pleas from Billy and Pat Gallagher, whose son Gordon was fatally injured when he tripped over a landmine left in the family's back garden.
At the time of the incident, in 1973, the IRA admitted putting the bomb there but claimed British soldiers had attached a detonator to it, rendering the device live. Now the organisation says it fully accepts responsibility, adding it is "truly remorseful and profoundly sorry".
The incident came to light again after a report by the Historical Enquiries Team – a "cold cases" unit set up by the police.
Before the new IRA statement, Mr Gallagher had called on Martin McGuinness, Northern Ireland's Deputy First Minister, who was an IRA commander in Londonderry in the 1970s, to provide information about the incident.
Sinn Fein said in response that Mr McGuinness had been in jail at the time of the bombing and had no information about it.
Perez Hilton apologises for publishing Jennifer Lawrence naked photo leak
Jennifer Lawrence 'nude photo hacker' claims there are hundreds more celebrity images to come
Victoria Justice on naked photo leak: 'Let me nip this in the bud right now – pun intended'
Saudis risk new Muslim division with proposal to move Mohamed’s tomb
Ariana Grande nude photos leak: Pictures are completely fake, say singer's representatives
Rotherham child sex abuse scandal: Labour Home Office to be probed over what Tony Blair's government knew - and when
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Ashya King: Parents of five-year-old boy refused permission to visit him in hospital and denied bail at Spanish court
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
Ashya King: 'Cruel NHS has not given us the treatment we need', says father of five-year-old with brain tumour who fled to Spain
- 1 Al Pacino on suffering from depression: 'It can last and it's terrifying'
- 2 Half of young women unable to ‘locate vagina’ and 65% find it difficult to say the word
- 3 Saudis risk new Muslim division with proposal to move Mohamed’s tomb
- 4 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 5 Mexican woman becomes world’s 'oldest person' at 127