Arson probe after buses are destroyed in Devon
Monday 30 July 2012
Police have launched an arson investigation after three buses were destroyed in an early morning fire.
Officers were called to the Paignton bus station in Devon shortly before 4.30am today after residents reported hearing a loud explosion on Great Western Road, a Devon and Cornwall Police spokesman said.
Two double-decker buses and one single-decker bus have been destroyed in the blaze, with an estimated damage cost of around £120,000.
A joint investigation with the fire service will be taking place into the cause of the fire, which officers confirmed is being treated as suspected arson.
The bus station remains closed and is likely to be closed for several hours, police said.
Operator Stagecoach are working to get replacement buses to the area and report that this is unlikely to impact on bus services around Torbay.
Nobody was injured during the blaze, police confirmed. Witnesses are asked to contact detectives.
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
No EU referendum under Labour: Ed Miliband to reveal that vote on membership is ‘unlikely’ in next Parliament if party wins power
Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
Fracking is turning the US into a bigger oil producer than Saudi Arabia
Europeans have ‘got whiter’ due to natural selection in past 5,000 years, scientists say
How climate change helped Genghis Khan: Scientists believe a sudden period of warmer weather allowed the Mongols to invade with such success
- 1 Hells of residence: Inside Macedonia's horrifying student accommodation - where the walls are green and the food is black
- 2 Arrest made after man is found by the side of the road with his penis cut off
- 3 Michael Schumacher 'experience' gives F1 legend chance to 'show his character', says Lewis Hamilton
- 4 Girl found in the Amazon rainforest with neighbour Grover Morales after going missing for 7 months
- 5 Disney's Frozen is 'very evil' gay propaganda, says Christian pastor