Artist, Graham Ovenden, will not go to jail for sex abuse
Tuesday 04 June 2013
An internationally renowned artist who was found guilty of a string of sex charges against children will not go to jail.
Graham Ovenden, 70, who lives near Bodmin Moor in Cornwall, received 12 months' imprisonment suspended for two years.
He was convicted by a jury in April of six charges of indecency with a child and one of indecent assault relating to three girls. The offences occurred between 1972 and 1985.
Judge Graham Cottle at Plymouth Crown Court said the sentence reflected Ovenden's age, health and the damage to his reputation as an artist.
Ovenden plans to appeal.
Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
Isis an hour away from Baghdad - with no sign of Iraq army being able to make a successful counter-attack
British man raped while urinating in bushes at Oktoberfest beer festival in Germany
Hong Kong protests: Chief executive Leung Chun-ying denies Chinese troops will help to quell demonstrations
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
'Women, walk wherever you want' posters taken down in Stamford Hill following 'unacceptable' signs separating men and women
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
- 1 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 2 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- 3 The Simpsons death: Creator Al Jean would 'kill himself' before a character like Homer or Lisa
- 4 British man raped while urinating in bushes at Oktoberfest beer festival in Germany
- 5 Pope Francis assures atheists: You don’t have to believe in God to go to heaven
- < Previous
- Next >