Aspiring pilot dies 'after being restrained by bouncers' outside London club

Adam Hird was left unconscious after a confrontation outside Club No. 65 and died two days later

Click to follow
The Independent Online

An aspiring pilot has died after he was allegedly restrained by bouncers at a London club for ten minutes.

Adam Hird, a travel agent and amateur pilot, was involved in a confrontation outside Club No.65 in Vauxhall, southeast London, which left him unconscious.

Police were called to reports of a man being restrained by security staff at about 3.20am on Sunday, the Evening Standard reports. Mr Hird received emergency treatment and was taken to hospital, but he died two days later.

Mr Hird’s father Frank, 67, told The Standard: “Adam tried to get into the club but hadn’t got enough money so went to a cash machine and came back. He didn’t get in and was restrained on the ground. His heart stopped and they didn’t get it working until 50 minutes later.

“They switched life-support off in the hospital, but I believe he died on the street outside that club.”

He said his son, who was engaged to his fiancée Tanya Surkina, was a flying enthusiast and who hoped to become a commercial pilot.

Lambeth Council suspended Club No. 65’s licence on Wednesday following an emergency request from Lambeth Police, who are currently appealing for witnesses who are believed to have filmed the incident on their mobile phones.

The request, which has been seen by The Standard, reportedly cites “an incident in which a male was involved in an altercation with three door staff resulting in the male being restrained for approximately 10 minutes".

A statement from the Met Police said: “Police were called at around 03.20am on 15 June to reports of a disturbance at the entrance of the No.65 bar on Albert Embankment in Vauxhall.

“On arrival officers found a man in his 30s collapsed. The man was taken by the London Ambulance Service to a south London hospital where he died at 16:40hrs on Tuesday, 17 June.

“The deceased has been identified as Adam Hird, 30, of Epping.

“A post-mortem examination will commence at 2.30pm on 19 June, at Greenwich Public Mortuary.

“Four men have been arrested in connection with the investigation and subsequently bailed to return on a date in late July pending further enquiries.”