There is not enough evidence to prosecute anyone for the "Babes in the Wood" murder of two schoolgirls in a park twenty years ago, police said today.
Karen Hadaway, 10, and Nicola Fellows, 9, were strangled in Wild Park, Brighton, in 1986.
Russell Bishop was charged with double murder but acquitted by a Lewes Crown Court jury.
In 2002, in the light of plans to abolish the double jeopardy rule which prevented suspects being tried twice for the same crime, Sussex Police announced they were re-examining the case.
But despite reviewing all the available evidence, officers said there is not enough to mount a prosecution.
Assistant Chief Constable Nigel Yeo said: "In relation to the murders of Nicola Fellows and Karen Hadaway, this remains an unsolved case for Sussex Police.
"We have recently carried out an extensive review of all the available evidence and are satisfied that there is insufficient to meet the necessary evidential standard required to formally seek the opinion of the CPS in relation to any possible suspect(s).
"As with any unsolved case we remain anxious for any further evidence and will regularly review what we have."
For 800 years no-one could be tried again after they were acquitted of an
offence - even when new evidence, such as confessions, came to light.
In April last year the double jeopardy rule was changed under the 2003 Criminal Justice Act.
Legal history was made on Monday when William Dunlop, 43, admitted strangling 22-year-old Julie Hogg at the Old Bailey, 15 years after he was cleared of her murder.
Bishop was jailed in 1991 for kidnapping and sexually assaulting a seven-year-old girl from Brighton. He has always denied killing Karen and Nicola.Reuse content