Band manager jailed for rape of teenage singer
Thursday 04 June 2009
A band manager who twice raped a teenage singer after plying her with drink has been jailed for 11-and-a-half years.
Jailing 46-year-old William Gary Mason at Belfast Crown Court yesterday, Judge Loughran told him that by committing his “deplorable” offences he had ruined her adolescence which should have been a “time of joy”.
Mason, from Waverly Court in Lisburn, Northern Ireland, was also ordered to sign the sex offenders register for the rest of his life and barred by the judge from working with children, having unsupervised contact with children and from “loitering at child centred locations” for the next 20 years.
At the end of his trial in April last year, Mason was convicted of one count of indecent assault but was retried on two counts of rape and four further charges of indecent assault earlier this year, with the jury finding him guilty by a majority verdict of 11 to one. In all, Mason was convicted of two counts of rape and five of indecent assault on dates between 1 April and 31 December, 2006.
This article is from The Belfast Telegraph
Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
- 1 All Blacks Aaron Cruden misses New Zealand flight after drinking session, has brilliant excuse
- 2 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': TV reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 Alicia Keys leaks nude photo 'to create a kinder and more peaceful world'
- 5 Clothes store Joy angers mental health campaigners with Twitter exchange on bipolar disorders