Bank robber Teslim Adedibu who fled Barclays bank yelling “I’ve got all the money”, foiled by exploding red security dye

Adedibu was £9,000 in debt at the time of the robbery in May

Click to follow
The Independent Online

A bank robber who yelled “I’ve got all the money” as he stole almost £1,000 from a London branch of Barclays bank, was caught after packets of crimson dye exploded over the cash and security smoke billowed around him as he fled the scene.

Teslim Adedibu, of Edmonton, East London, was sentenced to 18 months in prison following the incident on 12 May, when he kicked down a security screen to grab money from the bank’s flagship store in Regent Street - situated beneath iconic electric adverts of Piccadilly Circus.

Minutes before the incident, staff told the unemployed 34-year-old that he was unable withdraw money from his bank account because he was £9,000 in debt. He then left the store.

Adedibu soon returned to demand he be given £10,000, before breaking through the security screen. He shouted “robbery, robbery, ha ha ha, I’ve got all the money” as he stole £910 from the cash desk, and stuffed it into a backpack, the Evening Standard reported.

But unbeknown to Adedibu, packets of red dye - often used by banks to foil robberies - were attached to the cash. By permanently staining cash and releasing red aerosol, the radio-triggered dye packs make culprits easier to identify.

Using details Adedibu had entered into a card machine during his initial attempt to withdraw money from the store, Police officers traced the robber the following day.

Recorder David Spens QC, who sentenced Adedibu, said: “You walked up to the till and said ‘I need £10,000 now’ and slammed your rucksack down on the counter.

“You continued to bang your hand on the counter and demand the money. When the cashier said she would call the police, you said ‘Get the police, they are just jokers.’

“Then you told her ‘Come on, hurry up and give me the money or I will get it myself’.”

“You then ran out of the bank shouting ‘robbery robbery, ha ha ha I’ve got all the money’ and disappeared down Shaftesbury Avenue with red smoke billowing behind you,” the judge said.

Simon Gruchy, Adedibu’s barrister, told the judge the raid was “unplanned, impulsive and completely unsophisticated”, adding his client had been “desperate” because he was in debt and thought his benefits had stopped.

As he was led away, Adedibu said: “I’m sorry, I’m sorry.”