Black Panther killer Neilson dies
Tuesday 20 December 2011
Donald Neilson, the serial killer known as the Black Panther and one of a small group of notorious prisoners who were told they would never leave jail, has died at the age of 75.
Neilson's health had been deteriorating for some time – in 2008 it was reported he was suffering motor neurone disease.
Neilson who killed three sub-postmasters during a series of armed robberies, was best-known for the killing of the teenage heiress Lesley Whittle in 1975.
He kidnapped her and left a ransom demand for £50,000 but she was later found dead in an underground drainage system.
After his capture, a cache of guns, ammunition and a model of a black panther were found at his Yorkshire home.
Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
Edgar Froese dead: Tangerine Dream founder dies aged 70
Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
Syrian refugee child beaten by Istanbul Burger King manager for eating customer’s leftover food
Iraq invasion 2003: The bloody warnings six wise men gave to Tony Blair as he prepared to launch poorly planned campaign
British Muslim leaders outraged after Eric Pickles says followers of Islam should 'prove their identity'
UK terror fears: My jihadist son returned from Syria mentally scarred – now he is being ignored
Nigel Farage: NHS might have to be replaced by private health insurance
Billy Crystal: 'Stop shoving gay sex scenes in my face'
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
- 1 Rowan Atkinson to sell £10 million McLaren 'supercar' he crashed into a tree and a lamppost
- 2 The truth about 'girl things': Three cheers for Heather Watson's honesty
- 3 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 4 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 5 Men behaving badly: Urinating while standing, 'manspreading' and the gendering of selfishness