Body in alleyway sparks murder inquiry
Sunday 24 July 2011
Police launched a murder inquiry after the body of a woman was discovered in an alleyway.
The victim, who has yet to be formally identified, was found dead in the St Ann's area of Nottingham at about 8.45am yesterday by a resident.
House-to-house inquiries were being conducted in and around Thorneywood Mount, where the body was found between two houses, and officers are also studying CCTV footage from the surrounding area.
Senior investigating officer Detective Chief Inspector Tony Heydon of Nottinghamshire Police said: "A team of detectives are working on this inquiry, which we are now treating as the murder of a young woman.
"I am appealing for anyone who thinks they may have seen her during the night to contact us immediately."
The white woman was in her mid-20s with shoulder-length auburn hair, and was wearing blue jeans with a brown belt, a pink T-shirt with "FCUK" printed in black on the front, and pink-and-white trainers.
Officers have undertaken extensive searches of bins and front and back gardens in and around Thorneywood Mount and a cordon put in place around the area has now been lifted.
A post-mortem examination to establish the cause of death has yet to take place.
Anyone who believes they may have seen a woman fitting the description given by police, or anyone with further information which could be linked to the incident, is asked to contact the inquiry's incident room on 0115 844 5020 or the Crimestoppers service on 0800 555 111.
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
Ukip and Nigel Farage on course for remarkable victory in European elections
No EU referendum under Labour: Ed Miliband to reveal that vote on membership is ‘unlikely’ in next Parliament if party wins power
Tony Benn was entirely ineffectual - and usually wrong
The rise of Ukip: Study warns Labour that Eurosceptic party's electoral base now 'more working class than any of the main parties'
Europeans have ‘got whiter’ due to natural selection in past 5,000 years, scientists say
- 1 Is your name now 'banned' in Saudi Arabia?
- 2 Gender-specific books demean all our children. So the Independent on Sunday will no longer review anything marketed to exclude either sex
- 3 Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 Q&A by Simon Calder: How far could it have travelled? Who was responsible and what would their plans be? And how can a plane just vanish?
- 4 California man Christopher Viatafa surrenders to police after googling own name and discovering himself listed as ‘most wanted’
- 5 'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Viral Facebook links are profiting hackers