Boy aged 14 charged with woman's murder
A 14-year-old boy has been remanded in custody charged with the murder of a woman who was found dead after a fire at her home.
The teenager, who cannot be named for legal reasons, appeared at Nottingham Crown Court today accused of killing Jacqueline Bartlam.
The body of the 47-year-old was discovered after a blaze at her home in Georgia Drive, Redhill, Nottingham, in the early hours of Easter Monday.
A post-mortem examination carried out by a Home Office pathologist found she had died of head injuries.
The boy, who was this morning sent straight from magistrates in Nottingham to appear at the Crown Court in the afternoon, was remanded to secure local authority accommodation, a Nottinghamshire Police spokesman said.
He is due to appear in court again on June 9.
The force spokesman said a cordon remained in place around the fire-damaged property, although a wider cordon in the surrounding area has since been lifted.
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
Ferguson decision: Tea Party website mocks Michael Brown's family over T-shirt typo
Michael Brown shooting: Ten things we know – or know better – now the Ferguson grand jury's work is over
Isis propaganda image showing 'abuse of Muslim woman by soldiers' is actually taken from Hungarian porn film
Derren Brown on the disappointment of coming out: 'It’s not that people react badly to it – they really don't care'
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Bill Cosby: Isn’t it obvious why his accusers have stayed silent up until now?
- 4 Halle Berry takes ex-boyfriend Gabriel Aubry to court for allegedly trying to make daughter look less African-American
- 5 Isis propaganda image showing 'abuse of Muslim woman by soldiers' is actually taken from Hungarian porn film