Boy recovering after Carnival shooting

Click to follow
The Independent Online

A 14-year-old boy is recovering in hospital today after being shot in the leg as the Notting Hill Carnival drew to a close.

The incident happened at the junction of Portnall Road and Harrow Road, Maida Vale, at about 9pm yesterday.

No arrests have been made and a forensic team were at the scene last night, police said.

It is believed the teenager will be discharged from hospital later today.

The end of the famous street carnival was marred by violence as a 17-year-old also suffered a suspected gunshot wound and a man was stabbed.

Police found the teenager with a wound to his shoulder after hearing shots fired near Blenheim Crescent in Notting Hill at around 7.30pm last night, Scotland Yard said.

An arrest has been made in connection with the incident, police said.

The man, in his 20s, is in a stable condition following the stabbing in Westbourne Park Road yesterday evening. No arrests have been made.

Three people arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after a stabbing in Ladbroke Grove on Sunday are still in police custody today.

Another three people were arrested by officers from the Specialist Arms Unit on suspicion of possession of firearms at 3.20pm yesterday on Bayswater Road.

Their vehicle was identified by automatic number plate reader technology.

Scotland Yard said there were 137 arrests yesterday, nearly double the 69 made on Sunday.

Yesterday, 220 allegations of crime were made, taking the total for the weekend to 336.

Deputy Assistant Commissioner Chris Allison who was in charge of policing for this year's event, said: "Sunday, traditionally children's day, passed off well and in the main without incident.

"Bank holiday Monday saw many thousands join in the event and have a great afternoon out.

"However, what we witnessed from 5pm that afternoon shows that there was a hardcore, mainly of young men, who came to Carnival not to enjoy the event but to fight, commit crime and cause trouble.

"Our officers had to work hard and deliver a strong interventionist style of policing late into the night to make sure that these criminals were not allowed to take over the streets of Notting Hill.

"Unfortunately, we witnessed groups fighting, objects being thrown at police and large groups of youths pushing roughly through crowds.

"Two young men were shot, fortunately not seriously injured, and a small number of people suffered minor stab wounds.

"This behaviour - coupled with the range of weapons we took off people both before the event and during - leads us to believe that this year's Carnival was a draw for people determined to commit crime and cause trouble.

"No one wants to see this unique event being over shadowed by such unacceptable behaviour.

"We will continue to working closely with the London Notting Hill Carnival Limited, and other partners, to make sure that these criminals do not return to spoil this event in 2008."

According to police estimates some 600,000 people attended yesterday's festivities.

Organisers said around 1.5 million people flocked to Notting Hill over the three days - roughly the same amount as last year.

Carnival director Michael Williams said: "I found it just as congested.

"What we had was a well-run carnival and people enjoying themselves."

Carnival-goers praised the organisers and police for making the event feel safe, despite the number of people.

Mia Frederickson, 35, had taken her two children for the first time.

"They're only five and 18 months but there's so many police around I'm not too concerned. It feels very safe," she said.

Police said around 4,000 officers had been present in Notting Hill over the 24-hour carnival period.