Boys remanded over churchyard murder
Two 15-year-old boys charged with murdering a homeless man in a churchyard were remanded into secure accommodation today.
They appeared at Newton Aycliffe Youth Court, County Durham, for a four minute hearing following their arrest on Saturday by officers investigating the death of 59-year-old George Akers in Darlington.
A member of the public found Mr Akers' body under a tree in the grounds of St Cuthbert's Church on June 12.
His death was not initially regarded as suspicious until a post-mortem examination revealed he had sustained multiple internal injuries.
Officers later said he was the victim of a "sustained and brutal attack".
The boys, one in a blue designer t-shirt, the other in a white logoed top, nodded when bench chairman asked if they had understood the media was banned from reporting anything which could identify them.
John Robinson told the defendants that magistrates no longer had the power to consider bail in murder cases.
They will appear before Teesside Crown Court on Wednesday.
The bench chairman told them: "In the mean time you will be remanded into local authority secure accommodation."
One youth smiled when he received a gesture of support from a male relative before they were led away from the glass dock by security guards.
Swedish stars ask fans for £195 pledges on crowd-funding website
techLuke Blackall reports on precision engineered prams and babygros that monitor your child 24-7
- 1 Nelson Mandela memorial: ‘Bogus’ interpreter made mockery of Barack Obama’s tribute
- 2 It’s shameful that our universities have accepted gender segregation under pressure from the most oppressive religious fanatics
- 3 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 4 Exeter to Edinburgh and back in a day: How one fresher's lost bet left him facing a 900-mile round trip
- 5 Selfie at funeral: Cameron squeezes in on Obama snap at Mandela memorial
The ten coldest places on Earth
Nelson Mandela memorial: ‘Bogus’ interpreter made mockery of Barack Obama’s tribute
David Cameron explains selfie with Obama and Helle Thorning-Schmidt at Mandela Memorial
Krokodil in Mexico? Teenager hospitalised after 'injecting drug into her genitals'
Australia incest case: Filthy and severely deformed children found in remote farming community after generations of inbreeding
- < Previous
- Next >