Bradford teacher stabbing: Boy, 14, detained for 11 years for racially motivated attack on Vincent Uzomah

The attack took place in June

Click to follow

A 14-year-old boy who stabbed his supply teacher in a racially-motivated attack has been sentenced to 11 years’ detention.

Bradford crown court heard how the boy made “sick” boasts about the attack online in the aftermath when he was being hunted by police, and that he was on bail for another offence at the time of the attack.

The boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, admitted causing grievous bodily harm with intent when he stabbed 50-year-old Vincent Uzomah in the stomach shortly before the start of a science lesson on 11 June this year.

But his lawyers denied that he launched the attack because the teacher was black, arguing instead that he was “angry” his mobile phone was being confiscated.

Prosecutors reportedly said that the boy, who is of Pakistani origin, wrote on Facebook after the stabbing: “The m*********** getin funny so I stick the blade straight in his tummy.”

The court also heard that the boy racially abused Mr Uzomah, calling him a “n*****”, on the morning of the attack. Prosecutors said there was “clear evidence” the attack was racially motivated.

The crown argued that he had discussed the attack with a friend beforehand, and brought a kitchen knife with him into school that morning.

Mr Uzomah survived the attack and recovered in hospital. In a statement to the court, the devout Christian told how he prays “constantly” for the boy.

Sentencing the boy, Judge Durham Hall QC said he was an “out of control” minor who “could not tolerate being told off”.

In court in Bradford today, The Sun newspaper applied to have the boy’s right to anonymity waived, arguing that naming him was in the public interest. The newspaper published the boy’s identity in the immediate aftermath of the attack.

But the judge refused to lift restrictions, saying that the boy’s welfare must come before the public interest.

The boy will be eligible for release after three years at a secure children’s home, the judge said, with the “determinate” part of his sentence being six years.