Bromley teenager George Verrier dies after mass brawl


Click to follow

A 17-year-old has died from head injuries after refusing hospital treatment following a fight involving about 20 people.

George Verrier was given first aid by police after the fight, which broke out at around 12.45am yesterday in Southborough Road, Bromley, south-east London, at the junction with Blenheim Road, but said he did not want to be taken to hospital.

Hours later, at around 9.30am, police, paramedics and an air ambulance were called to a home in Ferndale, Bromley, where the teenager had fallen unconscious.

He was taken to hospital but died shortly after 6pm.

George, who was from Bromley, had been to a party at a house in Blenheim Road on Saturday night.

Neighbours said the party had seemed well-organised and that they had seen people being turned away at around 12.30am.

A woman who lives nearby but did not want to be named said: "I was very sorry to hear about the poor boy and my heart goes out to his family who have lost their child.

"It looked like a very well-organised party - it was noisy, that's all. The family who had the party are such a nice family."

Another neighbour said some partygoers had been turned away from the house.

He said: "We were very much aware of the noise. That stopped at about 12.30am when the music stopped. My wife was looking out of the window and she could see three large adults leading a group of youngsters up the road, turning them away from the party."

Another 17-year-old boy was arrested in connection with the teenager's death and is in custody at a police station in south London.

Detective Chief Inspector Diane Tudway said: "Police were called to a disturbance at Southborough Road and the junction with Blenheim Road, Bromley, about 12.45am on Sunday September 1.

"If you were driving along that road you may have driven past that disturbance involving approximately 20 people. A young man was assaulted and he later died of his injuries."

The boy's family has been told and a post-mortem examination will be arranged in due course.

Anyone with information about what happened can call police on on 0208 721 4005 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.