Brothers face court on charge of travelling to terror training camp
Two brothers who were stopped by police in Dover have appeared in court accused of travelling to a terrorist training camp in Syria.
Mohommod Hassin Nawaz, 29, and his sibling Hamza Nawaz, 22, were arrested at the port last Monday after travelling from Calais in France, when police allegedly found five rounds of ammunition for an AK-type gun allegedly in their possession.
The pair appeared at Westminster Magistrates' Court accused of conspiring to attend a place used for terrorist training and being in possession of the rifle ammunition.
It is alleged that they drove from their home in Stratford, east London to Calais, and then flew from Lyon to Turkey. From there it is claimed they travelled into Syria.
Both wearing grey sweatshirts and white trousers, the brothers spoke only to confirm their names, dates of birth and address during the brief hearing.
Mohommod Nawaz is also accused of being in possession of a laptop computer containing "information of a kind likely to be useful to a person committing or preparing an act of terrorism".
It is claimed that this includes four copies of the al Qaida magazine Inspire.
Deputy chief magistrate Emma Arbuthnot remanded the brothers in custody until October 21, when they will appear at the Old Bailey.
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
- 1 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 2 Expert urges cat lovers to own just one animal each
- 3 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 4 Yes, the iPhone 6 is a miracle, but it's Apple's tax affairs that deserve a double take
- 5 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- < Previous
- Next >