Calls for specialist food crime unit
Thursday 09 January 2014
A specialist food crime unit should be set up to investigate fraud in the wake of the horsemeat scandal, an expert has said.
Professor Chris Elliott told the Commons Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee that food fraud needed to become an item in company risk registers.
He said: “Any particular incidents of suspected food fraud that are happening in large companies should be reported to the board. What we don't want are chief executives saying 'I knew nothing about this'.”
Mr Elliott said food authenticity had been taken “very seriously” in the UK, with the Food Standards Agency regarded as a global leader, but that had been “eroded over a number of years, to the point that governmental testing was at an all-time low”.
He said a unit should be set up as an independent force able to deal with “complex food crime perpetrated by highly organised and dangerous, potentially violent, organised crime groups” in the wake of the horsemeat scandal which revealed that frozen burgers supplied to several supermarkets, including Tesco, contained horse DNA.
Mr Elliott added that criminal networks saw the potential for “huge profits and low risks” in food fraud and theft.
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
- 1 Russell Brand accuses FOX News anchor Sean Hannity of terrorism after aggressive Israel-Gaza debate
- 2 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness – including don’t try to convert other people
- 3 Arturo Vidal to Manchester United: Midfielder set to force through move to Louis van Gaal's Red Devils - reports
- 4 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 5 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
- < Previous
- Next >