Candlelit vigil for G20 protest victim

Click to follow
The Independent Online

The family of G20 protest victim Ian Tomlinson will lead a candlelit vigil tonight to remember his death.

Mr Tomlinson, 47, died after he was pushed to the ground by a police officer during clashes that marred the meeting of political leaders on April 1.

His widow Julia and stepson Paul King will address supporters at the event in Royal Exchange, in the shadow of the Bank of England.

They will be joined by MP John McDonnell, their solicitor Jules Carey and the family of Sean Rigg who died in police custody last year.

Mrs Tomlinson said: "Ian died in tragic circumstances, an innocent passer-by trying to get home, after a police assault at the G20 protests.

"Eight months on our family are preparing for our first Christmas without him and still waiting for justice.

"We have been grateful for public support this year and would like an opportunity to hold this public memorial gathering to remember Ian, with our friends and supporters around us.

"We ask that those who attend please wear black as a mark of respect and remember that this is a peaceful event."

The Tomlinson family lodged a fresh complaint with the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) yesterday.

They have claimed a senior Metropolitan Police officer misled those investigating his death as part of a "cover-up".

Mr King said the unnamed officer alleged Mr Tomlinson fell to the ground before he was struck by an officer and pushed to the ground.

The IPCC are also investigating the death and the information released to the media by police in the hours afterwards.

A member of the Met's territorial support group was suspended and questioned on suspicion of manslaughter over Mr Tomlinson's death.

He was caught by an amateur cameraman apparently hitting Mr Tomlinson with a baton and pushing him to the ground.

A file was passed to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) at the beginning of August by the IPCC.

Mr Carey, said the family hope a decision will be made over whether to charge anyone over the incident "sooner rather than later".

Mr Rigg, 40, died after being held at Brixton police station, in south London, in August last year. The circumstances of his death are under investigation.