Chelsea FC ban man amid race investigation
Wednesday 07 November 2012
A man arrested over a claim that a racist gesture was made to a footballer during a Chelsea match against Manchester United has been banned from Chelsea's ground pending the outcome of the police investigation, the club said.
A spokesman said: "Chelsea Football Club has banned a 28-year-old man from Stamford Bridge pending the conclusion of a police investigation into a possible racially aggravated public order offence.
"The man is not a current Chelsea FC season ticket-holder or member.
"Chelsea is co-operating fully with the police as they carry out their investigation."
The man was arrested on Tuesday after attending a west London police station by appointment.
Scotland Yard said he was held on suspicion of a racially aggravated Section 4a Public Order Act offence. He was later released on bail until November 29.
Detectives have been investigating a complaint regarding alleged racist behaviour at Stamford Bridge on October 31 during Chelsea's Capital One Cup win over United.
Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
Michael Brown shooting: Ferguson police shoot and kill second young black man
James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
Iraq crisis: Islamic State's message to America - 'We will drown you all in blood'
Ferguson: In the heartlands of America, a descent into madness
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
- 1 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 2 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 3 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermesiter and vodka
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations