Cilla Black among those taking fresh action against News International
New wave of hacking claims were expected after Met launched Operation Pinetree
James Cusick is political correspondent of The Independent and The Independent on Sunday. As an experienced member of the lobby, he has previously worked at The Sunday Times and the BBC. His career as a journalist has been split between print and television, including senior positions as producer with Sir David Frost and at BBC Newsnight. He is also an award-winning golf and travel writer, working for over a decade as the UK contributing editor for one of the USA’s leading golf magazines. He broadcasts regularly for the BBC and CNN. He lives in London.
Thursday 20 June 2013
TV presenter Cilla Black has been identified as one of six individuals to have launched new claims against News International over alleged phone hacking at the News of the World.
Others who are taking action against Rupert Murdoch’s UK company include the actor Rhys Ifans, and the 2005 Big Brother winner, Anthony Hutton.
Ms Black was a pop star in the 1960s and 1970s who successfully crossed over into television as a presenter of hit shows such as Blind Date and Surprise Surprise. Content and background from the programmes were regularly the focus of tabloid interest.
A new wave of hacking claims had been expected following Scotland Yard’s launch of Operation Pinetree, which is investigating allegations against journalists who worked mainly on the features desk of the NOTW.
At the case management hearing before Mr Justice Vos, the court heard that 26 hacking actions were still on the register of claims against News International.
Six claims were recently settled. These include Louise Woodward, the former British au pair who, then aged 19, was jailed in the United States in 1997 for the involuntary manslaughter of the child in her care, eight-month- old Matthew Eappen.
In addition to a potential new wave of phone-hacking claims, the court learned that legal action linked to the Met’s anti-bribery investigation, Operation Elveden, may also be brought against NI.
Hugh Tomlinson, QC, one of the lawyers representing hacking victims, said between five and 10 claims relating to Eleveden were likely to be lodged.
A further 200 claims are currently being dealt with by the private internal compensation scheme set up by NI, which has since closed its doors to new claims.
Russell Brand accuses FOX News anchor Sean Hannity of terrorism after aggressive Israel-Gaza debate
Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness – including don’t try to convert other people
Sabina Altynbekova, the girl branded 'too good looking' for volleyball, says social media obsession with her is a 'bit much'
Justin Bieber posts Instagram photo of Orlando Bloom crying after Ibiza fight 'over Miranda Kerr'
Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
- 1 Russell Brand accuses FOX News anchor Sean Hannity of terrorism after aggressive Israel-Gaza debate
- 2 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness – including don’t try to convert other people
- 3 Arturo Vidal to Manchester United: Midfielder set to force through move to Louis van Gaal's Red Devils - reports
- 4 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 5 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
- < Previous
- Next >