Clerk ‘helped drivers avoid court bans’
Thursday 22 August 2013
A court clerk helped more than 70 motorists falsify their driving records and escape bans, a court heard today.
Clerical assistant David Kelly, 47, is said to have operated the scam from his workplace in the admin department at Liverpool Magistrates’ Court.
It is alleged he assisted 71 drivers in removing details of their convictions, disqualifications and penalty points on 110 occasions between 2004 and 2010.
A jury at Preston Crown Court was told that motorists would pass cash to intermediaries to set up the deletion of driving offences from their licences.
Kelly would then send forms from the court to the DVLA to request the alterations, it is alleged.
The Crown says Kelly abused his position and that the only sensible motive was financial gain. Kelly denies conspiracy to pervert the course of justice.
In the dock with him are four of his alleged “customers”, Shaun Robinson, 24, Samantha Evans, 25, Mark Camello, 33, and Terence Nash, 27, who all deny perverting the course of justice.
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'sees no problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 'Alien thigh bone' on Mars: Excitement from alien hunters at 'evidence' of extraterrestrial life
- 3 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 4 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 5 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27