Comedian Boyle called 'callous' and 'insensitive'
Saturday 20 October 2012
The comedian Frankie Boyle yesterday came under attack from the newspaper he is suing for libel after being described as "racist".
A lawyer representing the Daily Mirror told a High Court jury that Mr Boyle was "callous" and "insensitive".
Ronald Thwaites QC said jurors should not find in Mr Boyle's favour. If they did, they should show their "contempt" by awarding damages of 45p – the price of the Daily Mirror.
But a lawyer representing Mr Boyle said being called "racist" was "extremely serious".
Mr Boyle has complained that the Daily Mirror libelled him by describing him as "racist comedian Frankie Boyle" in an article.
The trial is due to end next week.
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Sickness and disability benefits could be reduced by £30 a week as part of £12bn welfare cuts
- 1 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 2 People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
- 3 Van driver who comforted Clark Carlisle and called 999 after suicide attempt dies age 24
- 4 James Blunt was special guest on the highest-rating Top Gear episode ever
- 5 The biggest first date turnoff has been revealed