Controlled explosion carried out on Edinburgh Leith Links
Police confirmed had removed 'material' from a flat
Police officers have reportedly carried out a controlled explosion on Leith Links green in Edinburgh, after ‘material’ was removed from a nearby block of flats, according to Police Scotland.
Residents were evacuated from Persevere Court, while police and army officers searched a flat as part of an ongoing operation, the Edinburgh Evening News reported.
An area of North Junction Street was closed off from North Leith Mill earlier today. Residents were warned that they may be evacuated from their properties and were told to stay away from their windows.
Cordons have now been lifted in the area, and residents have been allowed back to their homes, according to the newspaper.
A police Scotland spokesman added that the material was destroyed by the Army’s Explosive Ordnance Disposal.
33-year-old Josie Balfour told the newspaper at the time of the controlled explosion: “It was an unusually large section of road to close off, particularly on a Friday afternoon when people are heading home. There was a significant delay.”
The incident comes a week after the Fidra Court, in the Muirhouse area of the city, was evacuated as bomb disposal crews investigated the discovery of “suspicious items," the newspaper reported.
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Bill Cosby: Isn’t it obvious why his accusers have stayed silent up until now?
- 4 Halle Berry takes ex-boyfriend Gabriel Aubry to court for allegedly trying to make daughter look less African-American
- 5 Isis propaganda image showing 'abuse of Muslim woman by soldiers' is actually taken from Hungarian porn film