Detective foil cash machine raiders
Flying squad detectives foiled a robbery today after a lorry with a mechanical arm was used to rip a cash machine from a bank, Scotland Yard said.
The robbers struck at Barclays Bank in Finchley Road, Golders Green, north London, at 3am, using the grab-arm to hoist the ATM onto the back of the vehicle.
Police gave chase as the lorry drove off but the driver refused to stop and rammed a number of police vehicles during a four-mile pursuit.
The lorry was eventually stopped in the Walthamstow area of east London where the 39-year-old driver, who sustained minor injuries in one of the collisions, was arrested and taken to hospital.
Two officers were also taken to hospital after suffering minor shoulder injuries when their vehicle was hit.
Meanwhile officers at the bank arrested a 37-year-old man and a 31-year-old man who were parked nearby in a white transit van. The 37-year-old was taken to hospital after suffering a minor injury during his arrest.
Detective Chief Inspector Harry Hennigan, of the Flying Squad at Finchley, said: "We are delighted with the successful conclusion of this operation which has led to three arrests and the recovery of the ATM.
"It illustrates that anybody involved in thefts such as this will be targeted and arrested by the Flying Squad."
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- < Previous
- Next >