Detective foil cash machine raiders
Flying squad detectives foiled a robbery today after a lorry with a mechanical arm was used to rip a cash machine from a bank, Scotland Yard said.
The robbers struck at Barclays Bank in Finchley Road, Golders Green, north London, at 3am, using the grab-arm to hoist the ATM onto the back of the vehicle.
Police gave chase as the lorry drove off but the driver refused to stop and rammed a number of police vehicles during a four-mile pursuit.
The lorry was eventually stopped in the Walthamstow area of east London where the 39-year-old driver, who sustained minor injuries in one of the collisions, was arrested and taken to hospital.
Two officers were also taken to hospital after suffering minor shoulder injuries when their vehicle was hit.
Meanwhile officers at the bank arrested a 37-year-old man and a 31-year-old man who were parked nearby in a white transit van. The 37-year-old was taken to hospital after suffering a minor injury during his arrest.
Detective Chief Inspector Harry Hennigan, of the Flying Squad at Finchley, said: "We are delighted with the successful conclusion of this operation which has led to three arrests and the recovery of the ATM.
"It illustrates that anybody involved in thefts such as this will be targeted and arrested by the Flying Squad."
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Sickness and disability benefits could be reduced by £30 a week as part of £12bn welfare cuts
Greece debt crisis: Angela Merkel and Francois Hollande issue Athens with 24-hour ultimatum to avoid crashing out of the euro
Greece crisis: Referendum exposes a gaping hole at the heart of the European Union – its lack of genuine legitimacy
- 1 Florida man sentenced to two-and-a-half years for having sex on the beach in front of a child
- 2 Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
- 3 Nick Kyrgios calls former Olympian Dawn Fraser a 'blatant racist' after she tells Wimbledon star to 'go back where their parents came from'
- 4 World learns of app that shows you who unfriended you on Facebook, app promptly crashes
- 5 Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM