A student sent a text message saying she knew she was going to die after taking toxic “slimming pills”, an inquest has heard.
Eloise Parry, 21, apologised to her university lecturer for “being so stupid” in the message, sent around four hours before her death. An inquest in Shrewsbury was told Miss Parry, who had a history of bulimia, died after taking eight unlicensed tablets containing dinitrophenol (DNP), which she bought on the internet.
Shropshire Coroner John Ellery, who ruled the death was accidental, said he would write to the Government urging a review of the classification of DNP, which is marketed as a “fat burning” pill.
In the text message Miss Parry said: “I screwed up big time. Binged/purged all night and took four pills at 4am.
“I took another four when I woke and I started vomiting soon after. I think I am going to die.”
After the hearing, her mother Fiona said she would like to see “much harsher and stiffer penalties for distributing and supplying” DNP.
Ms Parry added: “Looking good should never cost you your health or your life.Reuse content