Doctor died after attack within sight of Buckingham Palace

Click to follow
The Independent Online

A doctor died after being attacked and robbed within sight of Buckingham Palace, the Old Bailey heard today.

Nadim Gulahuseinwala, 32, was set upon by two men in the early hours of July 25 last year as he walked home through Green Park.



He was struck on the head with a 20kg metal fence post and one of the men stamped on his face and head twice, said Andrew Edis QC, prosecuting.



Then the second man went through his pockets taking his wallet and mobile phone, the jury heard.



Mr Edis said the men had been after cash which they used to pay for a prostitute in Soho.



Earlier, one of the men had been robbed in Soho when they approached a woman they thought was a prostitute, the court was told.



"This seems to have driven him into a towering rage. He was angry," said Mr Edis.



Thomas Connor, 20, of Curtismill Way, Orpington, south-east London, and William Paton, 20, of Clarendon Way, Orpington, deny murder and robbery.



It was alleged that Connor later admitted attacking Dr Gulahuseinwala but said he did not mean to cause him serious injury.