Drugs found in coffee machine consignment
Amphetamines and cannabis resin with a street value of £6.3 million were seized among a consignment of coffee machines at the Port of Dover, HM Revenue and Customs said today.
Officers from the UK Border Agency discovered the haul hidden in 34 boxes after stopping a Polish-registered lorry at Dover's eastern docks as it was en route to Northampton.
Gracjan Marcin Zientara, 32, was arrested as he arrived at the freight lanes on Tuesday and was charged with drug smuggling offences under the Customs and Excise Management Act 1979.
Zientara, from Pila in north-western Poland, was remanded in custody to appear at Dover Magistrates' Court next month, a HM Revenue and Customs spokesman said.
Assistant director for HM Revenue and Customs, Malcolm Bragg, said: "The success of this latest operation highlights our proactive role in reducing drugs being brought into the UK.
"Our priority, in partnership with the UKBA, is to wipe out illegal drugs and their availability on city streets. We hope our efforts will reduce the devastating impact drugs have on individuals as well as the wider effect on local communities.
"We will continue to take stringent action and bring individuals before the courts."
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 4 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers