Drugs found in coffee machine consignment
Amphetamines and cannabis resin with a street value of £6.3 million were seized among a consignment of coffee machines at the Port of Dover, HM Revenue and Customs said today.
Officers from the UK Border Agency discovered the haul hidden in 34 boxes after stopping a Polish-registered lorry at Dover's eastern docks as it was en route to Northampton.
Gracjan Marcin Zientara, 32, was arrested as he arrived at the freight lanes on Tuesday and was charged with drug smuggling offences under the Customs and Excise Management Act 1979.
Zientara, from Pila in north-western Poland, was remanded in custody to appear at Dover Magistrates' Court next month, a HM Revenue and Customs spokesman said.
Assistant director for HM Revenue and Customs, Malcolm Bragg, said: "The success of this latest operation highlights our proactive role in reducing drugs being brought into the UK.
"Our priority, in partnership with the UKBA, is to wipe out illegal drugs and their availability on city streets. We hope our efforts will reduce the devastating impact drugs have on individuals as well as the wider effect on local communities.
"We will continue to take stringent action and bring individuals before the courts."
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'sees no problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 'Alien thigh bone' on Mars: Excitement from alien hunters at 'evidence' of extraterrestrial life
- 3 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 4 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 5 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27