Drummer Lee Rigby's family visit scene of murder in Woolwich
Sunday 26 May 2013
Members of Drummer Lee Rigby's family visited the scene of his murder in Woolwich, south-east London, today.
They laid flowers at the Woolwich Barracks where the 25-year-old soldier with the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers was based, and where hundreds of floral tributes have already been left by wellwishers.
Their visit came as Home Secretary Theresa May warned today there are potentially thousands of people at risk of being radicalised in the UK, as she indicated plans for a fresh crackdown on extremist groups.
The family members arrived at the place where he was killed just before 12.40pm.
They hugged and comforted each other as they looked as some of the many thousands of floral tributes that have been left in memory of the soldier.
They then crossed the road to look at the exact spot where he was murdered.
One clutched a teddy bear, while others held baskets of flowers which they left at the scene.
One woman tied a balloon with "dad" written across it.
They then spent a few moments in reflection, still clutching each other.
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Bill Cosby: Isn’t it obvious why his accusers have stayed silent up until now?
- 4 Halle Berry takes ex-boyfriend Gabriel Aubry to court for allegedly trying to make daughter look less African-American
- 5 Isis propaganda image showing 'abuse of Muslim woman by soldiers' is actually taken from Hungarian porn film