Ealing riot killing teenager named as Darrell Desuze
Tuesday 13 March 2012
A teenager who killed pensioner Richard Mannington Bowes during the London riots can be named as Darrell Desuze today after an order banning his identification was lifted.
The 17-year-old had been protected because of his age but a judge removed the order at Inner London Crown Court today a day after he admitted manslaughter.
Desuze, of Bath Road, Hounslow, punched Richard Mannington Bowes to the ground on August 8 last year during rioting in Ealing, west London.
Mr Bowes, who had been trying to put out a fire in a dustbin near his home, suffered brain damage when his head hit the pavement.
He died three days later in hospital.
Desuze admitted manslaughter when he appeared in court yesterday.
He also pleaded guilty to violent disorder and had previously admitted burglary at William Hill, Tesco Express, Blockbusters and Fatboys Thai restaurant on August 8.
Mr Justice Saunders said in terms of consequences, it was the most serious crime committed during the riots and the public had a right to know what happened and who killed Mr Bowes, a retired accountant.
Desuze, who a year before the riots enjoyed a school trip to the Metropolitan Police's riot training centre in Gravesend where he watched a simulated riot with officers pelted with bricks, still faces a charge of murder but the Crown will not pursue it and it is expected to lie on file.
Brian Altman QC, prosecuting, said on the evening of the killing Desuze, known as Smokey, set off for Harrow with friends.
But they headed to Ealing after getting a text from someone anticipating trouble there.
Desuze, wearing sunglasses and a distinctive top saying "Robbers and Villains" was caught on camera kicking in the glass doors of a shopping centre before joining a mob that attacked heavily outnumbered police with missiles around Spring Bridge Road.
"But one thing distinguished him from the others," said Mr Altman.
"He killed Richard Bowes, an entirely innocent local resident who had intervened to extinguish flames and prevent a fire in one of the bins."
The barrister said left-handed Desuze threw his full weight behind a punch to Mr Bowes's jaw, buckling his legs, knocking him unconscious and backwards where his head took the full force of impact on the road.
The police were "simply unable to reach Mr Bowes for some minutes because of the violence against them," said Mr Altman.
After walking off, Desuze returned to the victim and moved him onto the pavement.
"If it was concern for what he had done, it was short lived," said Mr Altman.
"Instead of calling an ambulance or summoning any of the policemen around he was in minutes rejoining the riot."
Mr Bowes sustained "catastrophic brain injuries" and never regained consciousness.
Mr Altman said Desuze, who was just 16 at the time, left the scene and within 10 minutes of delivering the fatal blow was breaking into a William Hill, Tesco Express, Blockbusters and a Thai restaurant.
As officers and members of the public battled to save Mr Bowes, who was breathing but unresponsive and bleeding, thugs continued to shower them with debris, the court heard.
Mr Altman said the prosecution accepted Desuze's guilty plea only on a "full facts" basis.
He would not accept it if Desuze continued with his "belatedly" offered explanation - he wanted to argue that he was provoked and was acting in self-defence.
Desuze's mother, Lavinia Desuze, 31, will stand trial on Monday accused of perverting the course of justice by destroying the clothes he wore on the night.
She appeared at court today and chose to stay in the dock with the killer after her case was adjourned.
Desuze will be sentenced next month after pre-sentencing reports have been completed.
Hacking Trial: Rebekah Brooks, Raisa and a new twist in the saga of a horse fit for a Prime Minister
Israel-Gaza conflict: Palestinian death toll now exceeds 500 – but Israel fights on
Income tax league: Revealed - the UK towns where people pay the most and least tax
Israel-Gaza conflict: Deadly flechette shells 'used by Israeli military in Gaza Strip’
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Blogger captures footage ‘showing BUK missile launcher that shot down jet’ now back in Russia
Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 crash: 'Nine Britons, 23 Americans and 80 children' feared dead after Boeing passenger jet is 'shot down' near Ukraine-Russia border
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Vladimir Putin is given 'one last chance' to end hostilities in Ukraine
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: victims’ bodies bundled in black bags and loaded onto trains
- 1 Apple has installed security backdoors on 600m iPhones and iPads, claims security researcher
- 2 UK pirates will get four warning letters a year
- 4 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 5 Israel-Gaza conflict: Deadly flechette shells 'used by Israeli military in Gaza Strip’