Ex-News of The World man quizzed

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Another former News of the World executive was being questioned today over phone hacking.





The 61-year-old, named by sources as Greg Miskiw, is being held on suspicion of intercepting mobile phone messages.



Scotland Yard said the suspect remained in custody after visiting a London police station by appointment at midday.



Mr Miskiw, who has been living in the US since leaving a senior editorial post at News International, told reporters last month he was planning to return to the UK to meet officers.









Mr Miskiw is believed to have left the recently-axed Sunday tabloid in 2005 before moving to Florida after a spell in Manchester.

The arrest by Operation Weeting detectives comes a week after Stuart Kuttner, the former managing editor of the News of the World, was held on suspicion of phone hacking and inappropriate payments to police.



Mr Miskiw becomes the 12th person to be arrested since Scotland Yard's fresh investigation into phone hacking was launched in January.



These include a series of high-profile figures, including former News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks and ex-Downing Street communications chief Andy Coulson.



The scandal has already caused the closure of the News of the World after 168 years and the resignation of two top police officers, Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Paul Stephenson and Assistant Commissioner John Yates.



A Scotland Yard spokesman said: "At approximately midday today a 61-year-old man was arrested by appointment at a London police station by officers from Operation Weeting and is currently in custody.



"He was arrested on suspicion of unlawful interception of communications. It would be inappropriate to discuss any further details regarding these cases at this time."

PA