Ex-BBC producer Ted Beston 'vehemently denies' sex offences after Savile probe arrest
Thursday 20 December 2012
Former BBC radio producer Ted Beston has “vehemently denied” historic allegations put to him by detectives investigating the Jimmy Savile sex abuse scandal.
Mr Beston, 76, was arrested by Operation Yewtree detectives yesterday morning on suspicion of sexual offences, then later bailed until February.
In a statement released through his lawyers today, the former Radio 1 producer said he was shocked by the allegations.
The statement added: "What emerged in October 2012 was a side of Savile that Mr Beston never knew."
The statement, released today by Ewings and Co Solicitors, said: "Yesterday, Ted Beston, the former Radio 1 producer, was arrested by officers from Operation Yewtree. Mr Beston was not charged.
"Mr Beston vehemently denies the historic allegations put to him by the police.
"When the Savile story surfaced in October, Mr Beston made clear then that he was shocked by the allegations...
"For the time being, Mr Beston will be saying nothing further and we request that Mr Beston, who is now 76, be allowed to deal with these false claims without undue intrusion."
Operation Yewtree detectives are looking at three strands within their inquiry: claims against Savile, those against Savile and others, and those against others.
Mr Beston, who was arrested under the strand of the investigation termed "Savile and others", became the eighth person to be arrested in the inquiry.
Other high-profile names include former pop star Gary Glitter, comedian Freddie Starr and publicist Max Clifford.
On Monday, Starr and Clifford were re-bailed to return on dates in February and March pending further inquiries.
Glitter, whose real is Paul Gadd, and a man in his 70s, reported to be former television producer Wilfred De'Ath - were previously re-bailed to dates in February.
They have all denied any wrongdoing.
Last week, police said a total of 31 allegations of rape have been made against Savile.
Some 589 people have come forward with information relating to the scandal, with a total of 450 complaints against the BBC presenter and DJ, mainly alleging sexual abuse, Scotland Yard said.
Detectives have recorded 199 crimes in 17 force areas in which Savile is a suspect, with 31 allegations of rape recorded against him in seven force areas.
UK's biggest male rape charity Survivors UK has state funding slashed to zero despite 120% rise in men reporting sexual violence and seeking help
Priest warns pupils the 'Charlie Charlie Challenge' is 'demonic activity'
'Don't blame all men for rape' campaign backfires spectacularly
Iran launches anti-Isis cartoon competition 'to expose true nature of Islamic State'
Fifa corruption arrests: Sepp Blatter 'quite relaxed' and confident he is 'not involved'
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
Australian man punched in the face for defending Muslim women from abuse on train
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
David Starkey 'tells Amal Clooney to shut up and stop over-promoting human rights'
- 1 Stolen Instagram photo sells for $90,000
- 2 Before you complain about your GP, this is what you need to know about actually doing the job
- 4 'Don't blame all men for rape' campaign backfires spectacularly
- 5 Charlie Charlie Challenge explained: not a Mexican demon being summoned — it's gravity