Ex-minicab driver denies 'night stalker' OAP sex attacks
A former minicab driver denied raping and sexually assaulting a string of elderly women today.
Delroy Grant, 52, of Brockley Mews, Honor Oak, south-east London, pleaded not guilty to a series of offences between 1992 and 2009.
He appeared in custody at the Old Bailey to face charges of rape, indecent assault and burglary.
Grant, a full-time carer for his estranged wife Jennifer, who has multiple sclerosis, was held by police in the early hours of November 15 last year.
He was interviewed by a team of Scotland Yard detectives hunting a criminal dubbed the Night Stalker.
Grant is accused of breaking into his victim's homes before subjecting them to sex attacks.
He is charged with three rapes, one attempted rape, seven indecent assaults, 16 burglaries and two attempted burglaries, involving a total of 18 victims.
The alleged offences took place in Warlingham, Shirley, Beckenham, Bromley, Addiscombe, Orpington and West Dulwich between October 1992 and May last year.
The inquiry set up to catch the Night Stalker was named Operation Minstead and opened in 1998.
The attacker broke into the homes of pensioners, often disabling phone and electricity lines, before subjecting them to horrific ordeals.
Mr Justice Bean said the trial would take place on March 1 next year at Woolwich Crown Court. It may take up to six weeks.
Grant, who wore a dark-blue striped suit, shirt and tie, spoke only to confirm his name during the 25-minute hearing.
Diving in at the deep end is no excuse for shirking the style stakes
Israel-Gaza conflict: Death toll tops 125 after overnight raids as Operation Protective Edge continues
Game of Thrones author George RR Martin says 'f*** you' to fans who fear he will die before finishing Westeros saga
Ian Thorpe gay: Olympic swimmer comes out in Parkinson interview
Supermoon 2014: When and why will the moon look bigger and brighter this summer?
Gaza-Israel conflict: Pro-Palestinian demonstrators take to streets of London, Paris and New York in wave of protests
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
War is war: Why I stand with Israel
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’
- 1 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 2 Japanese plant experts produce 10,000 lettuce heads a day in LED-lit indoor farm
- 3 War is war: Why I stand with Israel
- 4 L'Oreal cuts ties with Belgium supporter Axelle Despiegelaere after hunting trip photographs
- 5 The true Gaza back-story that the Israelis aren’t telling this week