Extension for terror suspect quiz

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Police have been given more time to question a man arrested in connection with the Stockholm suicide bombing.

The 30-year-old foreign national was detained at a block of flats in the Whiteinch area of Glasgow on Tuesday morning.

It is alleged the man, who was taken to a high-security police station in Govan, was involved in aiding terrorists in Sweden.

Strathclyde Police said a sheriff had granted an extension to the time the man can be held.

The suicide bomber, Taimour Abdulwahab al-Abdaly, 28, who studied at the University of Bedfordshire, blew himself up and injured two people in an attack in Stockholm's shopping district last year.

Police started searching three properties in Glasgow on Tuesday.

Earlier this week Chief Superintendent Ruaraidh Nicolson said the arrest was part of an ongoing investigation which was "intelligence led".

The Metropolitan Police and Bedfordshire Police are also involved in the probe.

The Swedish Security Service said the arrest was made after collaboration between Scotland and Sweden.

In a statement they said there "could be" a connection between the arrested man and the terrorist attack in central Stockholm on December 11.

A spokeswoman for the Swedish Security Service would not comment on reports that their operatives had travelled to Scotland to help question the arrested man.

Iraqi-born student Abdulwahab, who lived in Luton, apparently killed himself as he tried to set off a car bomb in a busy street.

After the vehicle caught fire he fled, blowing himself up a short distance away.

The bomber travelled to Britain in 2001 and attended Bedfordshire University before graduating and marrying in 2004.

He settled in Luton with his wife Mona, with whom he had three young children, two girls and a boy.

He went missing from the family home two and a half weeks before the bombing.

A white Audi packed with gas canisters, which was severely damaged in the attack, was found to be registered to Abdulwahab.

Experts said at the time that the bomber probably did not succeed in detonating all the explosives and could have caused much greater damage.

The attack was similar to the two attempted car bombings which involved gas canisters in London's West End in 2007.