Welcome to the new Independent website. We hope you enjoy it and we value your feedback. Please contact us here.

Extradite Dewani now, beg bride's family after second confession

Two of the accused men have now admitted to being part of the plot to kill Mrs Dewani

Anni Dewani's family begged her husband to end their "legal torture" by agreeing to face justice in South Africa yesterday, as another of the men accused of killing the bride admitted her murder.

Shrien Dewani, 32, who is suspected of ordering the hit on his new wife while on honeymoon in Cape Town 21 months ago, remains in Britain, fighting extradition.

He has maintained his innocence since the couple were held up at gunpoint while taking a taxi ride through Gugulethu township at night to see some of "the real Africa".

While the driver, Zola Tongo, and the groom were forced from the car unharmed, 28-year-old Mrs Dewani's body was discovered the next day in the abandoned car in another township.

Yesterday Mziwamadoda Qwabe – one of two men accused of being the hired killers – was jailed for 25 years, after he agreed to a plea bargain that requires him to cooperate with the prosecution. As lawyers met at Western Cape High Court to prepare for the start of the trial on Monday, he pleaded guilty to murder, kidnapping, robbery, and illegal possession of a firearm.

Mrs Dewani's uncle As hok Hindocha welcomed the guilty plea but said the family would not know the truth until Mr Dewani travels to South Africa to face trial: "We are just happy. Two of the accused have now pleaded guilty. Now we want to know what really happened to Anni, why they killed her.

"The way we feel is that we are going through legal torture. It is extremely stressful for the family," he said, adding: "I would have been much, much happier if all the accused were in South Africa and cross-examination took place and the truth could be found. To us, Anni is still not dead."

Eric Ntabazalila, spokesman for South Africa's National Prosecuting Authority, said lawyers were due to meet to discuss the case of Owabe's co-accused, Xolile Mngeni, who has been in poor health since surgery to remove a brain tumour in June 2011.

A month after the killing, taxi driver Tongo testified that Mr Dewani offered him 15,000 rand (£1,200) to arrange the killing. After a plea bargain to avoid a life sentence, Tongo pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 18 years in prison.

Mr Dewani is due before Westminster Magistrates' Court on 18 September when the chief magistrate, Howard Riddle, will be given an update on his psychiatric condition.

Last month the Bristol businessman's lawyers argued that he needed at least a year to recover from depression and post-traumatic stress before facing the South African courts. His barrister, Clare Montgomery QC, told Westminster Magistrates' Court her client needed "a period of calm".