Father-of-four Michael Carter dies in Manchester after 'one punch' attack during argument about football

Police said Michael Carter, 49, was attacked after 'football-related banter'

Click to follow

A man has died after being punched in the head during an argument about football on a night out in Manchester.

Michael Carter, 49, died almost two weeks after the attack on 31 August, when he was hit as he walked through the King Street West in the city centre.

The father-of-four was involved in an argument with two men at about 3.10am, police said, and was punched and fell to the ground, hitting his head on the pavement.

The pair ran off and he was taken to hospital but died on 10 September of head injuries.

Greater Manchester Police have released CCTV footage from the night in an appeal to identify three men they would like to speak to.

Two are shown outside Revolution bar on Southgate shortly before 2am. One is white, 6ft tall and slim, while the second man is possibly Asian or mixed race, 5ft 7in tall and of medium build with black hair.

A third man, who police said was not involved in the argument before Mr Carter’s death, was with the other men and is described as black with short hair.

Detective Chief Inspector Richard Eales described Mr Carter, who was on a night out when he was attacked, as a “loving father” and said his family was heartbroken.

“From everything we know so far it appears he was punched once in the face during, or after, an argument over football,” he added.

“We believe that two men came across Michael and his friend in the minutes before the incident and had football-related banter.

“We know that Michael received a blow to the head outside the Cotswold outdoor store on the corner of Deansgate and South King Street.”

The two men fled the scene towards Bridge Street and police are appealing for witnesses and taxi drivers to come forward with information about their movements.

“There is a possibility the men involved have not realised the consequences of what happened that morning and I would appeal directly to them to contact us,” DCI Eales said.

No arrests have been made.

Anyone with information is asked to call Greater Manchester Police on 0161 856 3400 or the Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.