Fifth man guilty over Birmingham riot blaze
From the blogs
David Prior's very personal reason for thinkg that investigators need appropriate expertise
Dozens of empty homes in two of Liverpool’s most deprived areas will be brought back into use thanks...
As a reluctant vegetarian (so reluctant that I'm not vegetarian at all) and a reluctant risotto eate...
Time for the monthly treat from David Hayes, who writes about British politics for the Australian In...
A fifth man has been found guilty of rioting, reckless arson and
firearms possession after police were "lured" to a pub fire and shot at
during last summer's riots.
Jermaine Lewis, 27, of Summerton Road, Oldbury, West Midlands, was convicted by a jury at Birmingham Crown Court.
The trial heard that officers from West Midlands Police and the force helicopter were shot at following a petrol bomb attack at the Bartons Arms in Aston, Birmingham.
Last week, co-defendants Tyrone Laidley, 20, of Nechells, Birmingham; Nicholas Francis, 26, of Great Barr, Birmingham; Renardo Farrell, 20, of Finchfield, Wolverhampton and Wayne Collins, 25, of Ouseley Close, Luton, Bedfordshire, were found guilty of riot, arson being reckless as to whether life was endangered and possessing a firearm with intent to endanger life.
A 17-year-old youth, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was convicted of riot and firearms possession, but cleared of arson.
Jurors in the six-week trial were shown CCTV footage of a gunman - said by the prosecution to be Laidley - firing at the police helicopter as it tracked suspects during disturbances in the early hours of August 10.
Prosecutor Andrew Lockhart QC said the aircraft came under attack minutes after at least 12 shots were fired at officers called to the pub blaze.
Police were initially pelted with bricks, steel tubes and furniture before the shots were fired, the court heard.
Mr Lockhart said: "As many as four guns were present. Scientific evidence confirms that.
"Some of the officers describe bricks and chairs being thrown at them in that initial incident. Then they heard shots begin to ring out."
The Crown said police had been lured into the area by the pre-planned arson attack.
Two other defendants, Joyah Campbell, 19, of Hanover Court, Aston, Birmingham and a 17-year-old who cannot be named, were acquitted last week of riot, arson and firearms possession.
All five men and the 17-year-old who was convicted will be sentenced at Birmingham Crown Court tomorrow.
- 1 Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
- 2 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 3 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 4 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 5 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t
Stand by for another DECADE of wet summers, say Met Office meteorologists
Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures