Five Iraqis cleared of Red Cap murders
Monday 16 August 2010
Five Iraqis have been cleared of the murder of six British Royal Military Police officers in 2003.
Nick Harvey, the Armed Forces Minister, said an Iraqi judge had ruled five of seven suspects arrested earlier this year had no case to answer. Two remaining suspects are now expected to face trial.
The Army Red Caps were killed after a 400-strong Iraqi mob descended on a police station in Majar al-Kabir in June 2003.
Relatives of the victims have fought a long campaign for justice. In January 2008, Iraq's interior minister, Jawad al-Boulani, vowed to track down the killers after a letter from three of the families implored him to find the culprits.
A Ministry of Defence spokesman said yesterday the UK Government was committed to seeing the killers brought to justice.
Ryan Gosling granted temporary restraining order against a woman 'convinced she was his twin flame'
Jennifer Lawrence sings in new The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Pt 1 clip on YouTube
Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Myleene Klass: Ed Miliband 'strikes back' by comparing UK's need for Labour's mansion tax to Hear'Say track
- 1 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 2 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 3 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 4 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
- 5 Kenya bus attack: Al-Shabaab militants kill 28 non-Muslims who failed to recite Koran