Five wanted over violence at nationalist march


Pictures have been released of five people wanted by police investigating violence which flared during a nationalist march and rally last month.

A 10-year-old girl and two police officers were injured after bottles were hurled at the fifth annual March for England gathering in Brighton, East Sussex.

The event attracted counter-demonstrations by anti-fascist protesters, leading to three arrests following ugly exchanges on April 22.

Sussex Police said there was a "considerable level of violence" directed at the 140 marchers and attempts were made to block them at several points along the route.

Today, officers issued pictures of five people they want to question over the trouble. All are suspected of throwing bottles, cans or containers at police officers and crowds.

Mounted police were drafted in to maintain calm but Superintendent Steve Whitton said it was clear some people were intent on not protesting peacefully.

He said: "We were able to restrain these groups and individuals with a firm, robust but fair policing response but this did require a major police presence at several points."

The three people arrested were all men who were not connected to the march. All were detained on suspicion of public order offences at separate points along the route.

One was later released without charge and the other two, both aged 20 - one from Brighton and one from Worthing, West Sussex - are on police bail pending further inquiries.

Police said they were also investigating a report of common assault on a 43-year-old man who was walking behind the march when he was allegedly grabbed.