A girl of 15, who was part of a crowd of more than 300 which went on the rampage after a football match, has become the youngest female to be banned from football matches.
Around 400 police officers were needed to quell the violence after the Pompey-Southampton derby, Portsmouth magistrates' court was told. Felicity Thorpe, who was only 14 at the time of the game on 21 March, was filmed on CCTV throwing at least 16 missiles, including stones and rubble. She was with a 10-year-old boy, who earlier this year became the youngest person to receive a referral and banning order for his part in the riot.
Thorpe, whom the court ruled could be named, pleaded guilty to violent disorder on Wednesday and was sent to a young offenders' institution for eight months. She was also given a six-year match ban. Nick Hawkins, for the prosecution, said the violence was "the worst disorder in Portsmouth for 20 years".
"She said in interview that she had been hit by a baton earlier in the evening and felt she could get back at the police by throwing missiles at them."
The court heard Thorpe, who was in city council care at the time of the offence, had 17 previous convictions, including assaulting a police officer.Reuse content