Former doorman to face Milly Dowler murder charge
Wednesday 31 March 2010
A former doorman is set to appear in court facing charges of kidnapping and murdering 13-year-old Milly Dowler in 2002.
Levi Bellfield 41, has been summonsed to appear at Staines magistrates' court on 13 April, where he will be formally charged with kidnapping and murdering Milly.
She disappeared on 21 March 2002, after calling her father to say she was on her way home from school in Walton-on-Thames, Surrey. Her body was found on Yateley Heath in Hampshire, six months later.
Her parents, Bob and Sally, said in a statement yesterday that it was "very hard to say how we feel after eight long and difficult years" but they thanked the police for persevering with the investigation. As well as the charges relating to Milly, Bellfield, from West Drayton, Middlesex, will also be charged with attempting to kidnap Rachel Cowles, then 12, the previous day.
The Crown Prosecution Service is bringing the charges after receiving a large dossier of circumstantial evidence compiled by the police.
Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
Hard line on immigration could cost Tories the election
- 1 Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
- 2 Venezuela Expo Tattoo 2015: Extreme body art from 'Vampire Woman' to 109mm earlobes
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 5 Rashida Jones speaks out against male-centric porn saying 'women should have sex and feel good about it'