Former music teacher facing multiple charges of rape and indecent assault has trial postponed so he can finish touring
Paul Gallagher is a reporter for the Independent and Independent on Sunday having joined the group in 2012. He has previously worked for the European Voice, Daily Mirror and the Observer and been based in Brussels, Belfast, Tokyo and London.
Tuesday 18 March 2014
A former Guildhall School of Music and Drama teacher facing multiple charges of rape and indecent assault has had his trial postponed so he can finish touring.
Philip Pickett, 63, a prominent classical musician and early music specialist from Lyneham near Chipping Norton, appeared at the Old Bailey on Monday accused of a string of historic sex crimes over a 20-year period. He faces three charges of rape and one of attempted rape, and eight counts of indecent assault and one of actual bodily harm, said to have occurred between 1974 and 1988. The nine alleged female victims include a girl who was under 14 at the time of the alleged crime.
His barrister argued that to delay the case would not be a problem. Jonathan Barnard, defending, told the London court: “My client is a world-famous musician and therefore earns his living on a job-to-job basis and has tours across the globe throughout the autumn – but the season slows down in the new year.
“The Crown doesn’t object – the allegations are at the latest 20 years old and the earliest, 40 years old.”
The Independent on Sunday first revealed Mr Pickett as the former Guildhall teacher facing rape allegations after he was arrested in December last year and he had been due to stand trial in October. He worked as a freelance classical music teacher at the prestigious school between 1972 and 1977 and founded the early music ensembles New London Consort and Musicians of the Globe. He has also collaborated with members of folk rock band Fairport Convention.
Mr Pickett spoke only to confirm his name during the brief preliminary hearing. He was released on conditional bail to return to the court on 30 June and enter his pleas to the charges. If he denies them, he will face a trial beginning on 5 January next year .
Is this bridge haunted by the ghost of nu rave?
Saudi Arabia says it won't rule out building nuclear weapons
Germanwings plane crash: Andreas Lubitz 'had eyesight problems' and woke from nightmares 'screaming we’re going down'
The battle for the Middle East's future begins in Yemen as Saudi Arabia jumps into the abyss
Jeremy Clarkson 'could be given minder' ahead of a potential Top Gear return
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans
Revealed: Putin's army of pro-Kremlin bloggers
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 1 Is this bridge haunted by the ghost of nu rave?
- 2 The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 3 The day I starred in Only Fools and Horses
- 4 Scientists have discovered a simple way to cook rice that dramatically cuts the calories
- 5 Zayn Malik quits One Direction: Hundreds of workers request compassionate leave following band member's exit