Glasgow helicopter crash: Four arrested over Clutha site ‘break-in’

Teenage boys and girls held on suspicion of stealing from site of fatal police helicopter crash three weeks ago

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Four teenagers have been arrested on suspicion of breaking into the Clutha bar in Glasgow where a police helicopter crash killed 10 people.

Two boys aged 16 and 18 and two 16-year-old girls are expected to appear at Glasgow Sheriff Court today to face allegations that they stole from the site of the horrific accident three weeks ago.

The alleged break-in occurred at around 2.20am yesterday, Police Scotland said.

Today will also see the funeral of the 10th victim of the crash take place at South Lanarkshire Crematorium, Blantyre.

Joe Cusker, 59, was inside the pub when the helicopter crashed through the roof on 29 November. He was pulled from the wreckage after suffering severe injuries, and died in hospital almost two weeks later.

Funerals were held last week for the nine other victims who lost their lives in the incident.

Among them were the three helicopter crew: Pilot David Traill, 51, PC Tony Collins, 43, and PC Kirsty Nelis, 36.

Six other pub customers also lost their lives. They were John McGarrigle, 57, Mark O'Prey, 44, Gary Arthur, 48, Colin Gibson, 33, Robert Jenkins, 61, and Samuel McGhee, 56.

The Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) is still trying to establish what caused the helicopter to fall from the sky, resulting in the impact which also saw another 31 people injured.

An initial special bulletin said that initial evidence ruled out any mechanical fault with either the engines or gear box of the aircraft.

Meanwhile, the manufacturer Eurocopter has issued a worldwide safety alert after it found a problem with the EC135 model – the same type involved in the crash.

The company said there was an issue with the fuel indication system on board some models. While 22 aircraft were grounded as a “precautionary measure” last week, many have nonetheless now resumed service.

The AAIB’s investigation is ongoing.