Four Jersey massacre victims named

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Four victims of the Jersey massacre were formally identified by police today as members of the two families involved said they were "grateful and extremely touched" by the support they have received from the community.

States of Jersey Police confirmed that Izabela Rzeszowska, 30, and her children, Kinga Rzeszowska, five, and Kacper Rzeszowski, two, were killed in the horrific attack in the capital, St Helier, on Sunday.

Mrs Rzeszowska's father Marek Garstka, 56, was also confirmed by police as one of the victims.

Her friend, Marta de la Haye, 34, and her five-year-old daughter, Julia, have been named locally as the other victims, with their identities expected to be officially confirmed tomorrow.

Post-mortem examinations have now been carried out on all six and found that they all died from stab wounds, police said.

Mrs Rzeszowska's husband, Damian Rzeszowski, 30, has been arrested over the murders and remains in a stable condition in Jersey General Hospital under police guard.

He is believed to have repeatedly stabbed himself in the chest after the incident in Victoria Crescent.

Both families have expressed their thanks for the flowers, soft toys and candles that have been left at the scene, police said.

A small number of the tributes have been taken to be placed at a more personal and private location as they continue to grieve.

Up to 1,000 people attended a Requiem Mass to remember the victims at St Thomas' Church in St Helier last night including members of the two families.

The investigation into the murders continues with further inquiries and forensic examination of the wider Upper Midvale Road area today.

Police said more than 150 lines of inquiry have been completed, with nearly 100 witness statements taken.

Neighbours have described how they fended off the "mumbling" knifeman with a traffic cone after the attack spilled outside on to the street and he chased one of the women before turning the weapon on himself.

Another witness saw the two little girls' bodies carried out of the flats by paramedics covered in blood.

Detective Superintendent Stewart Gull, who is leading the investigation, said: "We are making good progress with our investigation, but clearly there is still a great deal of work to be done.

"It is likely the scene will remain closed for ongoing forensic examination for the next few days, and I am grateful for the tremendous support and understanding we have had from local residents.

"The response and support of the people of Jersey, standing side by side to show their respect for the victims of this tragic incident has been remarkable and the two families have talked to us of the strength and comfort it has given them.

"We have had the same kind of support from the local community with our investigation and that has been of significant assistance to us."