Four men plead guilty over terror charges
Friday 01 March 2013
Four men have admitted discussing carrying out a terror attack in the UK using homemade bombs and firearms.
Zahid Iqbal, 31, Mohammed Sharfaraz Ahmed, 25, Umar Arshad, 24, and Syed Farhan Hussain, 21, considered methods, materials and targets for an attack.
The men were arrested following a series of raids in April last year at their homes in Luton.
They pleaded guilty to one terrorism charge at Woolwich Crown Court today.
Iqbal, of Bishopscote Road, Arshad, Hussain and Ahmed downloaded computer files containing practical instruction for an attack.
The men purchased survival equipment and collected funds for terrorist purposes.
They also admitted facilitating, planning and encouraging travel overseas, as well as organising, encouraging and participating in physical training, contrary to section 5 of the Terrorist Act 2006.
The offences took place between January 2011 and April last year.
They were due to stand trial next month but pleaded guilty in a hearing today.
Mr Justice Wilkie adjourned the case for sentencing on April 15.
The moment a Queen's Guard soldier lost it and drew his gun at annoying tourist
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
They are neither a 'state' nor 'Islamic': Why we shouldn't call them Isis, Isil or IS
Tunisia beach attack: How can British Muslims respond to the latest outrages?
- 1 Tunisia hotel attack: Locals form 'human shield' to protect hotel from gunman Seifeddine Rezgui
- 2 Iain Duncan Smith's expenses credit card is suspended after he runs up £1,000 debt to taxpayer
- 3 German ethics council calls for incest between siblings to be legalised by Government
- 4 French woman dies in freak bungee jumping accident
- 5 Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck to divorce and end their 10-year marriage